我坐在窗前地上看望着冷落的街道。
Through the dark night I keep humming, "She is I, despairing traveller, she is I."
在沉黑的夜中我不住地低吟着,"她就是我,失望的行人,她就是我。"
9
When I go alone at night to my love-tryst, birds do not sing, the wind does not stir, the houses on both sides of the street stand silent.
当我在夜里独赴幽会的时候,鸟儿不叫,风儿不吹,街道两旁的房屋沉默地站立着。
It is my own anklets that grow loud at every step and I am ashamed.
是我自己的脚镯越走越响使我羞怯。
When I sit on my balcony and listen for his footsteps, leaves do not rustle on the trees, and the water is still in the river like the sword on the knees of a sentry fallen asleep.
当我站在凉台上倾听他的足音,树叶不摇,河水静止像熟睡的哨兵膝上的刀剑。
It is my own heart that beats wildly——I do not know how to quiet it.
是我自己的心在狂跳——我不知道怎样使它宁静。
When my love comes and sits by my side, when my body trembles and my eyelids droop, the night darkens, the wind blows out the lamp, and the clouds draw veils over the stars.
当我爱来了,坐在我身旁,当我的身躯震颤,我的眼睫下垂,夜更深了,风吹灯灭,云片在繁星上曳过轻纱。
It is the jewel at my own breast that shines and gives light. I do not know how to hide it.
是我自己胸前的珍宝放出光明。我不知道怎样把它遮起。
10
Let your work be, bride. Listen, the guest has come.
放下你的工作吧,我的新娘。听,客人来了。
Do you hear, he is gently shaking the chain which fastens the door?
你听见没有,他在轻轻地摇动那拴门的链子?
See that your anklets make no loud noise, and that your step is not overhurried at meeting him.
小心不要让你的脚镯响出声音,在迎接他的时候你的脚步不要太急。
Let your work be, bride, the guest has come in the evening.
放下你的工作吧,新娘,客人在晚上来了。
No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.
不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。
It is the full moon on a night of April; shadows are pale in the courtyard; the sky overhead is bright.
这是四月夜中的满月,院里的影子是暗淡的,头上的天空是明亮的。
Draw your veil over your face if you must, carry the lamp to the door if you fear.
把轻纱遮上脸,若是你觉得需要;提着灯到门前去,若是你害怕。
No, it is not the ghostly wind, bride, do not be frightened.
不,这不是一阵阴风,新娘,不要惊惶。
Have no word with him if you are shy; stand aside by the door when you meet him.
若是你害羞就不必和他说话,你迎接他的时候只须站在门边。
If he asks you questions, and if you wish to, you can lower your eyes in silence.
他若问你话,若是你愿意这样做,你就沉默地低眸。
Do not let your bracelets jingle when, lamp in hand, you lead him in.
不要让你的手镯作响,当你提着灯,带他进来的时候。
Have no word with him if you are shy.
不必同他说话,如果你害羞。
Have you not finished your work yet, bride? Listen, the guest has come.
你的工作还没有做完么,新娘?听,客人来了。
Have you not lit the lamp in the cowshed?
你还没有把牛栅里的灯点起来么?
Have you not got ready the offering basket for the evening service?
你还没有把晚祷的供筐准备好么?
Have you not put the red lucky mark at the parting of your hair, and done your toilet for the night?
你还没有在发缝中涂上鲜红的吉祥点,你还没有理过晚妆么?
O bride, do you hear, the guest has come?
呵,新娘,你没有听见,客人来了么?
Let your work be!
放下你的工作吧!
11
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
If your braided hair has loosened, if the parting of your hair be not straight, if the ribbons of your bodice be not fastened, do not mind.
即使你的辫发松散,即使你的发缝没有分直,即使你衷衣的丝带没有系好,都不要管它。
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
Come, with quick steps over the grass.
来吧,用快步踏过草坪。
If the raddle come from your feet because of the dew, if the rings of bells upon your feet slacken, if pearls drop out of your chain, do not mind.
即使露水沾掉了你脚上的红粉,即使你踝上的铃串褪松,即使你链上的珠儿脱落,都不要管它。
Come with quick steps over the grass.
来吧,用快步踏过草坪。
Do you see the clouds wrapping the sky?
你没看见云雾遮住天空么?
Flocks of cranes fly up from the further river-bank and fitful guests of wind rush over the heath.
鹤群从远远的河岸飞起,狂风吹过常青的灌木。
The anxious cattle run to their stalls in the village.
惊牛奔向村里的栅棚。
Do you see the clouds wrapping the sky?
你没看见云雾遮住天空么?
In vain you light your toilet lamp——it flickers and goes out in the wind.
你徒然点上晚妆的灯火——它颤摇着在风中熄灭了。
Who can know that your eyelids have not been touched with lampblack? For your eyes are darker than rain-clouds.
谁能看出你眼睫上没有涂上乌烟?因为你的眼睛比雨云还黑。
In vain you light your toilet lamp——it goes out.
你徒然点上晚妆的灯火——它熄灭了。
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
你就这样地来吧,不要在梳妆上挨延了。
If the wreath is not woven, who cares; if the wrist-chain has not been linked, let it be.
即使花环没有穿好,谁管它呢;即使手镯没有扣上,让它去吧。
The sky is overcast with clouds——it is late.
天空被阴云塞满了——时间已晚。
Come as you are; do not loiter over your toilet.
你就这样地来吧;不要在梳妆上挨延了。
12
If you would be busy and fill your pitcher, come, O come to my lake.
若是你要忙着把水瓶灌满,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
The water will cling round your feet and babble its secret.
湖水将回绕在你的脚边,潺潺地说出它的秘密。
The shadow of the coming rain is on the sands, and the clouds hang low upon the blue lines of the trees like the heavy hair above your eyebrows.
沙滩上有了欲来的雨云的阴影,云雾低垂在丛树的绿线上,像你眉上的浓发。
I know well the rhythm of your steps, they are beating in my heart.
我深深地熟悉你脚步的韵律,它在我心中敲击。
Come, O come to my lake, if you must fill your pitcher.
来吧,到我的湖上来吧,如果你必须把水瓶灌满。
If you would be idle and sit listless and let your pitcher float on the water, come, O come to my lake.
如果你想懒散闲坐,让你的水瓶飘浮在水面,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
The grassy slope is green, and the wild flowers beyond number.
草坡碧绿,野花多得数不清。
Your thoughts will stray out of your dark eyes like birds from their nests.
你的思想将从你乌黑的眼眸中飞出,像鸟儿飞出窝巢。
Your veil will drop to your feet.
你的披纱将褪落到脚上。
Come, O come to my lake if you must sit idle.
来吧,如果你要闲坐,到我的湖上来吧。
If you would leave off your play and dive in the water, come, O come to my lake.
如果你想撇下嬉游跳进水里,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
Let your blue mantle lie on the shore; the blue water will cover you and hide you.
把你的蔚蓝的丝布留在岸上;蔚蓝的水将没过你,盖住你。
The waves will stand a-tiptoe to kiss your neck and whisper in your ears.
水波将蹑足来吻你的颈项,在你耳边低语。
Come, O come to my lake, if you would dive in the water.
来吧,如果你想跳进水里,到我的湖上来吧。
If you must be mad and leap to your death, come, O come to my lake.
如果你想发狂而投入死亡,来吧,到我的湖上来吧。
It is cool and fathomlessly deep.
它是清凉的,深到无底。
It is dark like a sleep that is dreamless.
它沉黑得像无梦的睡眠。
There in its depths nights and days are one, and songs are silence.
在它的深处黑夜就是白天,歌曲就是静默。
Come, O come to my lake, if you would plunge to your death.
来吧,如果你想投入死亡,到我的湖上来吧。
13
I asked nothing, only stood at the edge of the wood behind the tree.
我一无所求,只站在林边树后。
Languor was still upon the eyes of the dawn, and the dew in the air.
倦意还逗留在黎明的眼上,露润在空气里。
The lazy smell of the damp grass hung in the thin mist above the earth.
湿草的懒味悬垂在地面的薄雾中。
Under the banyan tree you were milking the cow with your hands, tender and fresh as butter.
在榕树下你用乳油般柔嫩的手挤着牛奶。
And I was standing still.
我沉静地站立着。
I did not say a word. It was the bird that sang unseen from the thicket.
我没有说出一个字。那是藏起的鸟儿在密叶中歌唱。
The mango tree was shedding its flowers upon the village road, and the bees came humming one by one.
芒果树在树径上撒着繁花,蜜蜂一只一只地嗡嗡飞来。
On the side of the pond the gate of Shiva's temple was open and the worshipper had begun his chants.
池塘边湿婆天的庙门开了,朝拜者开始诵经。
With the vessel on your lap you were milking the cow.
你把罐儿放在膝上挤着牛奶。
I stood with my empty can.
我提着空桶站立着。
I did not come near you.
我没有走近你。
The sky woke with the sound of the gong at the temple.
天空和庙里的锣声一同醒起。
The dust was raised in the road from the hoofs of the driven cattle.
街尘在驱走的牛蹄下飞扬。
With the gurgling pitchers at their hips, women came from the river.
把汩汩发响的水瓶搂在腰上,女人们从河边走来。
Your bracelets were jingling, and foam brimming over the jar.
你的钏镯丁当,乳沫溢出罐沿。
The morning wore on and I did not come near you.
晨光渐逝而我没有步近你。
14
I was walking by the road, I do not know why, when the noonday was past and bamboo branches rustled in the wind.
我在路边行走,也不知道为什么,时已过午,竹枝在风中簌簌作响。
The prone shadows with their outstretched arms clung to the feet of the hurrying light.
横斜的影子伸臂拖住流光的双足。
The koels were weary of their songs.
布谷鸟都唱倦了。
I was walking by the road, I do not know why.
我在路边行走,也不知道为什么。
The hut by the side of the water is shaded by an overhanging tree.
低垂的树荫盖住水边的茅屋。
Some one was busy with her work, and her bangles made music in the corner.
有人正忙着工作,她的钏镯在一角放出音乐。
I stood before this hut, I know not why.
我在茅屋前面站着,我不知道为什么。
The narrow winding road crosses many a mustard field, and many a mango forest.
曲径穿过一片芥菜田地和几层芒果树林。
It passes by the temple of the village and the market at the river landing place.
它经过村庙和渡头的市集。
I stopped by this but, I do not know why.
我在这茅屋面前停住了,我不知道为什么。
Years age it was a day of breezy March when the murmur if the spring was languorous, and mango blossoms were dropping on the dust.
好几年前,三月风吹的一天,春天倦慵地低语,芒果花落在地上。
The rippling water leapt and licked the brass vessel that stood on the landing step.
浪花跳起掠过立在渡头阶沿上的铜瓶。
I think of that day of breezy March, I do not know why.
我想着三月风吹的这一天,我不知道为什么。
Shadows are deepening and cattle returning to their folds.
阴影更深,牛群归栏。
The light is grey upon the lonely meadows, and the village are waiting for the ferry at the bank.
冷落的牧场上日色苍白,村人在河边待渡。
I slowly return upon my steps, I do not know why.
我缓步回去,我不知道为什么。
15
I run as a musk-deer runs in the shadow of the forest mad with his own perfume.
我像麝鹿一样在林荫中奔走,为着自己的香气而发狂。
The night is the night of mid-May, the breeze is the breeze of the south.
夜晚是五月正中的夜晚,清风是南国的清风。
I lose my way and I wander, I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.
我迷了路,我游荡着,我寻求那得不到的东西,我得到我所没有寻求的东西。
From my heart comes out and dances the image of my own desire.
我自己的愿望的形象从我心中走出,跳起舞来。
The gleaming vision flits on.
这闪光的形象飞掠过去。
I try to clasp it firmly, it eludes me and leads me astray.
我想把它紧紧捉住,它躲开了又引着我飞走下去。
I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.
我寻求那得不到的东西,我得到我所没有寻求的东西。
16
Hands cling to hands and eyes linger on eyes; thus begins the record of our hearts.
手握着手,眼恋着眼;这样开始了我们的心的纪录。
It is the moonlit night of March; the sweet smell of henna is in the air; my flute lies on the earth neglected and your garland of flowers is unfinished.
这是三月的月明之夜;空气里有凤仙花的芬芳;我的横笛抛在地上,你的花串也没有编成。
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样地单纯。
Your veil of the saffron colour makes my eyes drunk.
你橙黄色的面纱使我眼睛陶醉。
The jasmine wreath that you wove me thrills to my heart like praise.
你给我编的茉莉花环使我心震颤,像是受了赞扬。
It is a game of giving and withholding, revealing and screening again; some smiles and some little shyness, and some sweet useless struggles.
这是一个又予又留、又隐又现的游戏;有些微笑,有些娇羞,也有些甜柔的无用的抵拦。
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯。
No mystery beyond the present; no striving for the impossible; no shadow behind the charm; no groping in the depth of the dark.
没有现在以外的神秘;不强求那做不到的事情;没有魅惑后面的阴影;没有黑暗深处的探索。
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯:
We do not stray out of all words into the ever silent; we do not raise our hands to the void for things beyond hope.
我们没有走出一切语言之外进入永远的沉默;我们没有向空举手寻求希望以外的东西。
It is enough what we give and we get.
我们付与,我们取得,这就够了。
We have not crushed the joy to the utmost to wring from it the wine of pain.
我们没有把喜乐压成微尘来榨取痛苦之酒。
This love between you and me is simple as a song.
你我之间的爱像歌曲一样的单纯。
17
The yellow birds sings in their tree and makes my heart dance with gladness.
黄鸟在自己的树上歌唱,使我的心喜舞。
We both live in the same village, and that is our one piece of joy.
我们两人住在一个村子里,这是我们的一份快乐。
Her pair of pet lambs come to graze in the shade of our garden trees.
她心爱的一对小羊,到我园树的荫下吃草。
If they stray into my barley field, I take them up in my arms.
它们若走进我的麦地,我就把它们抱在臂里。
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
我们的村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
Only one field lies between us.
我们中间只隔着一块田地。
Bees that have hived in our grove go to seek honey in theirs.
在我们树里做窝的蜜蜂,飞到他们林中去采蜜。
Flowers launched from their landing-stairs come floating by the stream where we bathe.
从他们渡头街上流来的落花,飘到我们洗澡的池塘里。
Baskets of dried kusm flowers come from their fields to our market.
一筐一筐的红花干从他们地里送到我们的市集上。
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
我们村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
The lane that winds to their house is fragrant in the spring with mango flowers.
到她家去的那条曲巷,春天充满了芒果的花香。
When their linseed is ripe for harvest the hemp is in bloom in our field.
他们亚麻子收成的时候,我们地里的苎麻正在开放。
The stars that smile on their cottage send us the same twinkling look.
在他们房上微笑的星辰,送给我们以同样的闪亮。
The rain that floods their tank makes glad our kadam forest.
在他们水槽里满溢的雨水,也使我们的迦昙树林喜乐。
The name of our village is Khanjana, and Anjana they call our river.
我们村子名叫康遮那,人们管我们的小河叫安遮那。
My name is known to all the village, and her name is Ranjana.
我的名字村人都知道,她的名字是软遮那。
18
When the two sisters go to fetch water, they come to this spot and they smile.
当这两个姊妹出去打水的时候,她们来到这地点,她们微笑了。
They must be aware of somebody who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
她们一定觉察到,每次她们出来打水的时候,那个站在树后的人儿。
The sisters whisper to each other when they pass this spot.
姊妹俩相互耳语,当她们走过这地点的时候。
They must have guessed the secret of that somebody who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
她们一定猜到了,每逢她们出来打水的时候,那个人站在树后的秘密。
Their pitchers lurch suddenly, and water spills when they reach this spot.
她们的水瓶忽然倾倒,水倒出来了,当她们走到这地点的时候。
They must have found that somebody's heart is beating who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.
她们一定发觉,每逢她们出来打水的时候,那个站在树后的人的心正在跳着。
The two sisters glance at each other when they come to this spot, and they smile.
姊妹俩相互瞥了一眼又微笑了,当她们来到这地点的时候。
There is a laughter in their swiftstepping feet, which make confusion in somebody's mind who stands behind the trees whenever they go to fetch water.