饭饭TXT > 海外名作 > 《园丁集The Gardener》作者:[印]泰戈尔【完结】 > 园丁集(中英对照).txt

第 6 页

作者:印-泰戈尔 当前章节:14877 字 更新时间:2026-6-22 19:55

那就让爱的愁眼,徒然地因着盼望而流泪。

Let the lamp burn in the lonely house.

让灯盏在空屋里点着。

Let the ferry-boat take the weary labourers to their home.

让渡船载那些困乏的工人回家。

I leave behind my dreams and I hasten to your call.

我把梦想丢下,来奔赴我的召唤。

66

A wandering madman was seeking the touchstone, with matted locks, tawny and dust-laden, and body worn to a shadow, his lips tight-pressed, like the shut-up doors of his heart, his burning eyes like the lamp of a glow-worm seeking its mate.

一个流浪的疯子在寻找点金石。他褐黄的头发乱蓬蓬地蒙着尘土,身体瘦得像个影子。他双唇紧闭,就像他的紧闭的心门。他的烧红的眼睛就像萤火虫的灯亮在寻找他的爱侣。

Before him the endless ocean roared.

无边的海在他面前怒吼。

The garrulous waves ceaselessly talked of hidden treasures, mocking the ignorance that knew not their meaning.

喧哗的波浪,在不停地谈论那隐藏的珠宝,嘲笑那不懂得它们的意思的愚人。

Maybe he now had no hope remaining, yet he would not rest, for the search had become his life,——

也许现在他不再有希望了,但是他不肯休息,因为寻求变成他的生命——

Just as the ocean for ever lifts its arms to the sky for the unattainable——

就像海洋永远向天伸臂要求不可得到的东西——

Just as the stars go in circles, yet seeking a goal that can never be reached——

就像星辰绕着圈走,却要寻找一个永不能到达的目标——

Even so on the lonely shore the madman with dusty tawny locks still roamed in search of the touchstone.

在那寂寞的海边,那头发垢乱的疯子,也仍旧徘徊着寻找点金石。

One day a village boy came up and asked, "Tell me, where did you come at this golden chain about your waist?"

有一天,一个村童走上来问:"告诉我,你腰上的那条金链是从哪里来的呢?"

The madman started——the chain that once was iron was verily gold; it was not a dream, but he did not know when it had changed.

疯子吓了一跳——那条本来是铁的链子真的变成金的了;这不是一场梦,但是他不知道是什么时候变成的

He struck his forehead wildly——where, O where had he without knowing it achieved success?

他狂乱地敲着自己的前额——什么时候,呵,什么时候在他的不知不觉之中得到成功了呢?

It had grown into a habit, to pick up pebbles and touch the chain, and to throw them away without looking to see if a change had come; thus the madman found and lost the touchstone.

拾起小石去碰碰那条链子,然后不看看变化与否,又把它扔掉,这已成了习惯;就是这样,这疯子找到了又失掉了那块点金石。

The sun was sinking low in the west, the sky was of gold.

太阳西沉,天空灿金。

The madman returned on his footsteps to seek anew the lost treasure, with his strength gone, his body bent, and his heart in the dust, like a tree uprooted.

疯子沿着自己的脚印走回,去寻找他失去的珍宝。他气力尽消,身体弯曲,他的心像连根拔起的树一样,萎垂在尘土里了。

 67

Though the evening comes with slow steps and has signalled for all songs to cease;

虽然夜晚缓步走来,让一切歌声停歇;

Though your companions have gone to their rest and you are tired;

虽然我的伙伴都去休息而你也倦乏了;

Though fear broods in the dark and the face of the sky is veiled;

虽然恐怖在黑暗中弥漫,天空的险也被面纱遮起;

Yet, bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.

但是,鸟儿,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。

That is not the gloom of the leaves of the forest, that is the sea swelling like a dark black snake.

这不是林中树叶的阴影,这是大海涨溢,像一条深黑的龙蛇。

That is not the dance of the flowering jasmine, that is flashing foam.

这不是盛开的茉莉花的跳舞,这是闪光的水沫。

Ah, where is the sunny green shore, where is your nest?

呵,何处是阳光下的绿岸,何处是你的窝巢?

Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.

鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。

The lone night lies along your path, the dawn sleeps behind the shadowy hills.

长夜躺在你的路边,黎明在朦胧的山后睡眠。

The stars hold their breath counting the hours, the feeble moon swims the deep night.

星辰屏息地数着时间,柔弱的月儿在夜中浮泛。

Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.

鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。

There is no hope, no fear for you.

对于你,这里没有希望,没有恐怖。

There is no word, no whisper, no cry.

这里没有消息,没有低语,没有呼唤。

There is no home, no bed of rest.

这里没有家,没有休息的床。

There is only your own pair of wings and the pathless sky.

这里只有你自己的一双翅翼和无路的天空。

Bird, O my bird, listen to me, do not close your wings.

鸟儿,呵,我的鸟儿,听我的话,不要垂翅吧。

68

None lives for ever, brother, and nothing lasts for long. Keep that in mind and rejoice.

没有人永远活着,兄弟,没有东西可以经久。把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。

Our life is not the one old burden, our path is not the one long journey.

我们的生命不是那个旧的负担,我们的道路不是那条长的旅程。

One sole poet has not to sing one aged song.

一个单独的诗人,不必去唱一支旧歌。

The flower fades and dies; but he who wears the flower has not to mourn for it for ever.

花儿萎谢;但是戴花的人不必永远悲伤。

Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.

弟兄,把这个紧记在心及时行乐吧。

There must come a full pause to weave perfection into music.

必须有一段完全的停歇,好把"圆满"编进音乐。

Life droops toward its sunset to be drowned in the golden shadows.

生命向它的黄昏下落,为了沉浸于金影之中。

Love must be called from its play to drink sorrow and be borne to the heaven of tears.

必须从游戏中把"爱"招回,去饮忧伤之酒,再去生于泪天。

Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.

弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。

We hasten to gather our flowers lest they are plundered by the passing winds.

我们忙去采花,怕被过路的风偷走。

It quickens our blood and brightens our eyes to snatch kisses that would vanish if we delayed.

去夺取稍纵即逝的接吻,使我们血液奔流双目发光。

Our life is eager, our desires are keen, for time tolls the bell of parting.

我们的生命是热切的,愿望是强烈的,因为时间在敲着离别之钟。

Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.

弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。

There is not time for us to clasp a thing and crush it and fling it away to the dust.

我们没有时间去把握一件事物,揉碎它又把它丢在地上。

The hours trip rapidly away, hiding their dreams in their skirts.

时间急速地走过,把梦幻藏在裙底。

Our life is short; it yields but a few days for love.

我们的生命是短促的,只有几天恋爱的工夫。

Were it for work and drudgery it would be endlessly long.

若是为工作和劳役,生命就变得无尽的漫长。

Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.

弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。

Beauty is sweet to us, because she dances to the same fleeting tune with our lives.

美对我们是甜柔的,因为她和我们生命的快速调子应节舞蹈。

Knowledge is precious to us, because we shall never have time to complete it.

知识对我们是宝贵的,因为我们永不会有时间去完成它。

All is done and finished in the eternal Heaven.

一切都在永生的天上做完。

But earth's flowers of illusion are kept eternally fresh by death.

但是大地的幻象的花朵,却被死亡保持得永远新鲜。

Brother, keep that in mind and rejoice.

弟兄,把这紧记在心及时行乐吧。

69

I hunt for the golden stag.

我要追逐金鹿。

You may smile, my friends, but I pursue the vision that eludes me.

你也许会讪笑,我的朋友,但是我追求那逃避我的幻象。

I run across hills and dales, I wander through nameless lands, because I am hunting for the golden stag.

我翻山越谷,我游遍许多无名的土地,因为我要追逐金鹿。

You come and buy in the market and go back to your homes laden with goods, but the spell of the homeless winds has touched me I know not when and where.

你到市场采买,满载着回家,但不知从何时何地一阵无家之风吹到我身上。

I have no care in my heart; all my belongings I have left far behind me.

我心中无牵无挂;我把一切所有都撇在后面。

I run across hills and dales, I wander through nameless lands——because I am hunting for the golden stag.

我翻山越谷,我游遍许多无名的土地——因为我在追逐金鹿。

70

I remember a day in my childhood I floated a paper boat in the ditch.

我记得在童年时代,有一天我在水沟里漂一只纸船。

It was a wet of July; I was alone and happy over my play.

那是七月的一个阴湿的天,我独自快乐地嬉戏。

I floated my paper boat in the ditch.

我在沟里漂一只纸船。

Suddenly the storm clouds thickened, winds came in gusts, and rain poured in torrents.

忽然间阴云密布,狂风怒号,大雨倾注。

Rills of muddy water rushed and swelled the stream and sunk my boat.

浑水像小河般流溢,把我的船冲没了。

Bitterly I thought in my mind that the storm came on purpose to spoil my happiness; all its malice was against me.

我心里难过地想:这风暴是故意来破坏我的快乐的,它的一切恶意都是对着我的。

The cloudy July day is long today, and I have been musing over all those games in life wherein I was loser.

今天,七月的阴天是漫长的,我在默忆我生命中以我为失败者的一切游戏。

I was blaming my fate for the many tricks it played on me, when suddenly I remembered the paper boat that sank in the ditch.

我抱怨命运,因为它屡次戏弄了我,当我忽然忆起我的沉在沟里的纸船的时候。

71

The day is not yet alone, the fair is not over, the fair on the river-bank.

白日未尽,河岸上的市集未散。

I had feared that my time had been squandered and my last penny lost.

我只恐我的时间浪掷了,我的最后一文钱也丢掉了。

But no, my brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.

但是,没有,我的兄弟,我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

The selling and buying are over.

买卖做完了。

All the dues on both sides have been gathered in, and it is time for me to go home.

两边的手续费都收过了,该是我回家的时候了。

But, gatekeeper, do you ask for your toll?

但是,看门的,你要你的辛苦钱么?

Do not fear, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.

别怕,我还有点剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

The lull in the wind threatens storm, and the lowering clouds in the west bode no good.

风声宣布着风暴的威胁,西方低垂的云影预报着恶兆。

The hushed water waits for the wind.

静默的河水在等候着狂风。

I hurry to cross the river before the night overtakes me.

我怕被黑夜赶上,急忙过河。

O ferryman, you want your fee!

呵,船夫,你要收费!

Yes, brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me of everything.

是的,兄弟,我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

In the wayside under the tree sits the beggar. Alas, he looks at my face with a timid hope!

路边树下坐着一个乞丐。可怜呵,他含着羞怯的希望看着我的脸!

He thinks I am rich with the day's profit.

他以为我富足地携带着一天的利润。

Yes, brother, I have still something left. My fate has not cheated me for everything.

是的,兄弟,我还有点剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

The night grows dark and the road lonely. Fireflies gleam among the leaves.

夜色愈深,路上静寂。萤火在草间闪烁。

Who are you that follow me with stealthy silent steps?

谁以悄悄的蹑步在跟着我?

Ah, I know, it is your desire to rob me of all my gains. I will not disappoint you!

呵,我知道,你想掠夺我的一切获得。我必不使你失望!

For I still have something left, and my fate has not cheated me of everything.

因为我还有些剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

At midnight I reach home. My hands are empty.

夜半到家。我两手空空。

You are waiting with anxious eyes at my door, sleepless and silent.

你带着切望的眼睛,在门前等我,无眠而静默。

Like a timorous bird you fly to my breast with eager love.

像一只羞怯的鸟,你满怀热爱地飞到我胸前。

Ay, ay, my God, much remains still. My fate has not cheated me of everything.

叹,哎,我的神,我还有许多剩余。命运并没有把我的一切都骗走。

72

With days of hard travail I raised a temple. It had no doors or windows, its walls were thickly built with massive stones.

用了几天的苦工,我盖起一座庙宇。这庙里没有门窗,墙壁是用层石厚厚地垒起的。

I forgot all else, I shunned all the world, I gazed in rapt contemplation at the image I had set upon the altar.

我忘掉一切,我躲避大千世界,我神注目夺地凝视着我安放在龛里的偶像。

It was always night inside, and lit by the lamps of perfumed oil.

里面永远是黑夜,以香油的灯盏来照明。

The ceaseless smoke of incense wound my heart in its heavy coils.

不断的香烟,把我的心缭绕在沉重的螺旋里。

Sleepless, I carved on the walls fantastic figures in mazy bewildering lines——winged horses, flowers with human faces, woman with limbs like serpents.

我彻夜不眠,用扭曲混乱的线条在墙上刻画出一些奇异的图形——生翼的马,人面的花。四肢像蛇的女人。

No passage was left anywhere through which could enter the song of birds, the murmur of leaves or hum of the busy village.

我不在任何地方留下一线之路,使鸟的歌声,叶的细语,或村镇的喧嚣得以进入。

The only sound that echoed in its dark dome was that of incantations which I chanted.

在沉黑的仰顶上,唯一的声音是我礼赞的回响。

My mind became keen and still like a pointed flame, my senses swooned in ecstasy.

我的心思变得强烈而镇定,像一个尖尖的火焰。我的感官在狂欢中昏晕。

I knew not how time passed till the thunderstone had struck the temple, and a pain stung me through the heart.

我不知时间如何度过,直到巨雷震劈了这座庙宇,一阵剧痛刺穿我的心。

The lamp looked pale and ashamed; the carvings on the walls, like chained dreams, stared meaningless in the light as they fain hide themselves.

灯火显得苍白而羞愧;墙上的刻画像是被锁住的梦,无意义地瞪视着,仿佛要躲藏起来。

I looked at the image on the altar. I saw it smiling and alive with the living touch of God. The night I had imprisoned had spread its wings and vanished.

我看着龛上的偶像,我看见它微笑了,和神的活生生的接触,它活了起来。被我囚禁的黑夜,展起翅来飞逝了。

73

Infinite wealth is not yours, my patient and dusky mother dust!

无量的财富不是你的,我的耐心的微黑的尘土母亲。

You toil to fill the mouths of your children, but food is scarce.

你操劳着来填满你孩子们的嘴,但是粮食是很少的。

The gift of gladness that you have for us is never perfect.

你给我们的欢乐礼物,永远不是完全的。

The toys that you make for your children are fragile.

你给你孩子们做的玩具,是不牢的。

You cannot satisfy all our hungry hopes, but should I desert you for that?

你不能满足我们的一切渴望,但是我能为此就背弃你么?

Your smile which is shadowed with pain is sweet to my eyes.

你的含着痛苦阴影的微笑,对我的眼睛是甜柔的。

Your love which knows not fulfilment is dear to my heart.

你的永不满足的爱,对我的心是亲切的。

From your breast you have fed us with life but not immortality, that is why your eyes are ever wakeful.

从你的胸乳里,你是以生命而不是以不朽来哺育我们,因此你的眼睛永远是警醒的。

For ages you are working with colour and song, yet your heaven is not built, but only its sad suggestion.

你累年积代地用颜色和诗歌来工作,但是你的天堂还没有盖起,仅有天堂的愁苦的意味。

Over your creations of beauty there is the mist of tears.

你的美的创造上蒙着泪雾。

I will pour my songs into your mute heart, and my love into your love.

我将把我的诗歌倾注入你无言的心里,把我的爱倾注入你的爱中。

I will worship you with labour.

我将用劳动来礼拜你。

I have seen your tender face and I love your mournful dust, Mother Earth.

我看见过你的温慈的面庞,我爱你的悲哀的尘土,大地母亲。

74

In the world's audience hall, the simple blade of grass sits on the same carpet with the sunbeam and the of the midnight.

在世界的谒见堂里,一根朴素的草叶,和阳光与夜半的星辰坐在同一条毡褥上。

Thus my songs share their seats in the heart of the world with the music of the clouds and forests.

我的诗歌,也这样地和云彩与森林的音乐,在世界的心中平分席次。

But, you man of iches, your wealth has no part in the simple grandeur of the sun's glad gold and the mellow gleam of the musing moon.

但是,你这富有的人,你的财富,在太阳的喜悦的金光和沉思的月亮的柔光这种单纯的光彩里,却占不了一份。

The blessing of the all-embracing sky is not shed upon it.

包罗万象的天空的祝福,没有洒在它的上面。

And when death appears, it pales and withers and crumbles into dust.

等到死亡出现的时候,它就苍白枯萎,碎成尘土了。

75

At midnight the would-be ascetic announced:

夜半,那个自称的苦行人宣告说:

"This is the time to give up my home and seek for God. Ah, who has held me so long in delusion here?"

"弃家求神的时候到了。呵,谁把我牵住在妄想里这么久呢?"

God whispered, "I," but the ears of the man were stopped.

神低声道:"是我。"但是这个人的耳朵是塞住的。

With a baby asleep at her breast lay his wife, peacefully sleeping on one side of the bed.

他的妻子和吃奶的孩子一同躺着,安静地睡在床的那边。

The man said, "Who are you that have fooled me so long?"

这个人说:"什么人把我骗了这么久呢?"

The voice said again, "They are God," but he heard if not.

声音又说:"是神。"但是他听不见。

The baby cried out in its dream, nesting close to its mother.

目录
设置
设置
阅读主题
字体风格
雅黑 宋体 楷书 卡通
字体大小
适中 偏大 超大
保存设置
恢复默认
手机
手机阅读
扫码获取链接,使用浏览器打开
书架同步,随时随地,手机阅读
首 页 < 上一章 章节列表 下一章 > 尾 页