a) 为了避免产生误解,需要确定使用何种沟通方式(辩论、讨论或传授)。
b) Communication aimed at getting the best answer should involve the most relevant people.
b) 旨在获得最佳方案的沟通,应该邀请最相关的人参与其中。
c) Communication aimed at educating or boosting cohesion should involve a broader set of people than would be needed if the aim were just getting the best answer.
c) 旨在教育,增强凝聚力的沟通,如果目标是获取最优解决方案,那么就应该听取更多人的意见。
d) Leverage your communication.
d) 充分利用各种沟通手段。
... 30) Don’t treat all opinions as equally valuable.
... 30) 不要对所有的观点一视同仁。
a) A hierarchy of merit is not only consistent with a meritocracy of ideas but essential forit.
a) 能力层级不仅需要与观点优先原则相一致,更是后者的必然要求。
... 31) Consider your own and others’ “believabilities.”
... 31)思考自己和别人的可信度。
a) Ask yourself whether you have earned the right to have an opinion.
a) 问问自己,是否拥有发表观点的权利。
b) People who have repeatedly and successfully accomplished the thing in question andhave great explanations when probed are most believable.
b) 若有人多次成功解决悬而未决的问题,面对质疑也能讲得头头是道,这种人的观点最可信。
c) If someone asks you a question, think first whether you’re the responsible party/rightperson to be answering the question.
c) 如果有人问你一个问题,首先要考虑自己是不是能够解答这个问题的人。
... 32) Spend lavishly on the time and energy you devote to “getting in synch”because it’s the best investment you can make.
... 32)为了“意见统一”,花再多的时间与精力都不为过,因为这是最有价值的投资。
... 33) If it is your meeting to run, manage the conversation.
... 33)如果是你主持会议,请协调好会议中各方的讨论。
a) Make it clear who the meeting is meant to serve and who is directing the meeting.
a) 弄清会议的服务方和主持方。
b) Make clear what type of communication you are going to have in light of the objectivesand priorities.
b) 根据会议目标与重点议题,确定会议的交流方式。
c) Lead the discussion by being assertive and open-minded.
c) 主持讨论要坚定自信,开诚布公。
d) A small group (3 to 5) of smart, conceptual people seeking the right answers in anopen-minded way will generally lead to the best answer.
d) 组织三至五人的小组讨论,邀请思维灵活、概念清晰的成员开放地寻求最佳方案,这种情况一般能取得最好的效果。
e) 1+1=3.
f) Navigate the levels of the conversation clearly.
f) 要明确讨论的层次的方向。
g) Watch out for “topic slip.”
g) 注意不要让讨论偏题。
h) Enforce the logic of conversations.
h) 增强沟通的逻辑性。
i) Worry about substance more than style.
i) 实质内容比形式更重要。
j) Achieve completion in conversations.
j) 在讨论中要得出一定结论。
k) Have someone assigned to maintain notes in meetings and make sure follow-throughhappens.
k) 安排人做会议纪要,保证会议讨论的事项后续落实。
l) Be careful not to lose personal responsibility via group decision-making.
l) 需要注意的是,集体决策时不要忘记了个人的职责。
... 34) Make sure people don’t confuse their right to complain, give advice, anddebate with the right to make decisions.
... 34)不要将控诉、献言献策、辩论的权利同抉择权混为一谈。
... 35) Recognize that getting in synch is a two-way responsibility.
... 35)要认识到,达成意见统一是双向责任。
... 36) Escalate if you can’t get in synch.
... 36)如果意见无法统一,提交上级进行讨论。
To Get the People Right…
选对人,用对人
... 37) Recognize the Most Important Decisions You Make Are Who You Choose toBe Your Responsible Party
... 37)要知道,最重要的选择是选谁做负责人。
... 38) Remember that almost everything good comes from having great peopleoperating in a great culture.
...38)要记住,几乎所有的成功都是来自优秀的文化以及在其中工作的优秀的人才。
... 39) First, match the person to the design.
... 39)首先,要选择合适的人参与规划。
a) Most importantly, find people who share your values.
a) 最为重要的是要找同你价值观一致的人。
b) Look for people who are willing to look at themselves objectively and have character.
b) 要找愿意客观评价自己且有自身性格特点的人。
c) Conceptual thinking and common sense are required in order to assign someone theresponsibility for achieving goals (as distinct from tasks) .
c) 根据需要完成任务和实现目标,选择具备相关概念性思维和常识的人履职尽责。
... 40) Recognize that the inevitable responsible party is the person who bears theconsequences of what is done.
... 40)必然责任人是需要承担一切后果的。
... 41) By and large, you will get what you deserve over time.
... 41)总的来说,日积月累,你会得到你应得的。
... 42) The most important responsible parties are those who are most responsible forthe goals, outcomes, and machines (they are those higher in the pyramid) .
... 42)最重要的责任人要为目标、结果和组织机构负主要责任(即位于组织里的上层的人)。
... 43) Choose those who understand the difference between goals and tasks to runthings.
... 43)选择那些明白“目标”与“任务”之间差异的人来做事。
...44) Recognize that People Are Built Very Differently
...44) 要知道每个人生来和后天塑造都是不同的。
... 45) Think about their very different values, abilities, and skills.
... 45)考虑他们在价值观、能力和技能上的差异。
... 46) Understand what each person who works for you is like so that you know whatto expect from them.
... 46)要了解你每个员工的情况,才能知道你能在他们身上有何种期待。
... 47) Recognize that the type of person you fit in the job must match therequirements for that job.
... 47)岗位用人要与职位要求相匹配。
... 48) Use personality assessment tests and quality reflections on experiences tohelp you identify these differences.
... 48)通过性格测试以及员工工作经历中反映的性格特点来帮助自己了解他们之间的差异。
... 49) Understand that different ways of seeing and thinking make people suitable fordifferent jobs.
... 49)要知道,每个人的观察与思考方式不同,因此适合的职位也不同。
a) People are best at the jobs that require what they do well.
a) 人们在所擅长的领域工作表现最佳。
b) If you’re not naturally good at one type of thinking, it doesn’t mean you’re precludedfrom paths that require that type of thinking
b) 若你天生不擅长某种思维方式,并不意味着就做不好需要这种思维方式的工作。
... 50) Don’t hide these differences. Explore them openly with the goal of figuring outhow you and your people are built so you can put the right people in the rightjobs and clearly assign responsibilities.
... 50)不要隐藏这些差异,坦诚沟通,以深入了解自己和员工,把合适的人用在合适的岗位上,并明确任务分工。
... 51) Remember that people who see things and think one way often have difficultycommunicating and relating to people who see things and think another way.
... 51)要记住,看待事物与思维方式不同的人,在交流和相处上是存在困难的。
... 52) Hire Right, Because the Penalties of Hiring Wrong Are Huge
... 52)雇佣对的人,用错了人,代价会极为惨重。
... 53) Think through what values, abilities, and skills you are looking for.
... 53) 仔细审度自己想要的员工应具备什么样的价值观、能力和技能。
... 54) Weigh values and abilities more heavily than skills in deciding whom to hire.
... 54)招聘员工时,要多考虑员工的价值观与能力,这比技能更重要。
... 55) Write the profile of the person you are looking for into the job description.
... 55)招聘员工时,在岗位说明里描述希望招到一个什么样的员工。
... 56) Select the appropriate people and tests for assessing each of these qualitiesand compare the results of those assessments to what you’ve decided isneeded for the job.
... 56)挑选合适人选,根据相应工作岗位应具备的素质要求对他们进行考核评估,比对评估结果与素质要求。
a) Remember that people tend to pick people like themselves, so pick interviewers whocan identify what you are looking for.
a) 要记住,人们往往倾向于选择和自己相似的人,因此应挑选那些了解自己想雇佣何种员工的人担任面试考官。
b) Understand how to use and interpret personality assessments.
b) 要知道如何使用和解读性格测试。
c) Pay attention to people’s track records.
c) 注意受聘者的过往业绩。
d) Dig deeply to discover why people did what they did.
d) 深入挖掘,探寻他们过往行为的动机。
e) Recognize that performance in school, while of some value in making assessments,doesn’t tell you much about whether the person has the values and abilities you arelooking for.
e) 要认识到,尽管学校表现在进行评估时有一定价值,但却不能体现应聘者是否具备你想要的价值观或能力。
f) Ask for past reviews.
f) 要求提供过往业绩的评估。
g) Check references.
g) 参考推荐信。
... 57) Look for people who have lots of great questions.
... 57)寻找可提出好问题的员工。
... 58) Make sure candidates interview you and Bridgewater.
... 58)确保应聘者对你和桥水联合基金也进行了面试。
... 59) Don’t hire people just to fit the first job they will do at Bridgewater; hire peopleyou want to share your life with.
... 59)不要聘用那些只把桥水联合基金当做第一份工作的人,要用那些你愿意与之分享人生的人。
... 60) Look for people who sparkle, not just “another one of those.”
... 60)要选熠熠生辉之人,而不是又一个平庸之辈。
... 61) Hear the click: Find the right fit between the role and the person.
... 61)听到咔哒声:所需职位和聘用之人一定要匹配合适。
... 62) Pay for the person, not for the job.
... 62)以人论酬,而不是以岗论酬。
... 63) Recognize that no matter how good you are at hiring, there is a high probabilitythat the person you hire will not be the great person you need for the job.
... 63)要知道无论你在招聘人才方面有多在行,你所聘用的人选都很有可能不是岗位的最佳人选。
... 64) Manage as Someone Who Is Designing and Operating a Machine to Achieve the Goal
... 64)像设计和运行一台机器一样做好管理工作,才能实现预期目标。
... 65) Understand the differences between managing, micromanaging, and notmanaging.
... 65)明白管理、微观管理和不管理之间的区别。
a) Managing the people who report to you should feel like “skiing together.”
a) 管理下属应该感觉像是一同滑雪一样。
b) An excellent skier is probably going to be more critical and a better critic of anotherskier than a novice skier.
b) 优秀的滑雪者更能挑出对方的毛病,这是初学者很难做到的。
... 66) Constantly compare your outcomes to your goals.
... 66)不断比较完成情况和目标之间的差距。
... 67) Look down on your machine and yourself within it from the higher level.
... 67)在所管理的机制内,从更高层次审视自己和机制。
... 68) Connect the case at hand to your principles for handling cases of that type.
... 68)解决问题要参照同类别问题解决时所遵循的原则。
... 69) Conduct the discussion at two levels when a problem occurs: 1) the “machine”level discussion of why the machine produced that outcome and 2) the “caseat hand” discussion of what to do now about the problem.
... 69)问题出现时,要展开两个层面的讨论:1)从机制层面来讨论,为什么会出现这个问题?2)单从问题本身层面来讨论,当下应如何解决。
... 70) Don’t try to be followed; try to be understood and to understand others.
... 70)和员工的关系不是服从与被服从,而应是相互理解。
a) Don’t try to control people by giving them orders.
a) 不要给员工下命令控制他们。
b) Communicate the logic and welcome feedback.
b) 沟通要有逻辑,多听取反馈意见。
... 71) Clearly assign responsibilities.
... 71)明确责任分工。
... 72) Hold people accountable and appreciate them holding you accountable.
... 72)对员工进行工作问责制度,若他们问责你,要感谢他们。
a) Distinguish between failures where someone broke their “contract” from ones where there was no contract to begin with.
a) 要分清楚,有些工作上的失败是因为员工没履行一开始的“约定”,而有些则是因为一开始就没有指定“约定”。
... 73) Avoid the “sucked down” phenomenon.
... 73)避免“上级卷入下级工作职责”现象
a) Watch out for people who confuse goals and tasks, because you can’t trust people with responsibilities if they don’t understand the goals.
a) 提防那些混淆目标与任务的员工,不能理解工作目标的员工是不值得信任的。
... 74) Think like an owner, and expect the people you work with to do the same.
... 74)要有主人翁思维,并希望员工们也能具备这种思维方式。
... 75) Force yourself and the people who work for you to do difficult things.
... 75)强迫自己和员工迎难而上。
a) Hold yourself and others accountable.
a) 对自己和他人要采取问责制度。
... 76) Don’t worry if your people like you; worry about whether you are helping your people and Bridgewater to be great.
... 76)别担忧员工喜不喜欢你,还是多想想自己所做的事情能不能帮员工和桥水联合基金获得成功吧。
... 77) Know what you want and stick to it if you believe it’s right, even if others want to take you in another direction.
... 77)知道自己想要什么,坚信自己认为的是正确的事情,不要轻易被人牵着鼻子走。
... 78) Communicate the plan clearly.
... 78)计划沟通要清晰明了。
a) Have agreed-upon goals and tasks that everyone knows (from the people in the departments to the people outside the departments who oversee them) .
a) 已达成共识的目标任务要让所有相关人士都知道。(包括有关部门的员工及监管层的领导)
b) Watch out for the unfocused and unproductive “we should … (do something) .”
b) 要警惕交流中出现没有重点,低效无用的句式:我们应该如何。
... 79) Constantly get in synch with your people.
... 79)保持与员工意见统一。
... 80) Get a “threshold level of understanding”
... 80)充分了解工作相关情况。
... 81) Avoid staying too distant.
... 81)避免和员工产生距离感。
a) Tool: Use daily updates as a tool for staying on top of what your people are doing and thinking.
a) 工具:使用每日进度更新了解员工工作与思考的情况。
... 82) Learn confidence in your people—don’t presume it.
... 82)对员工的信任度不能先入为主,要逐步去了解。
... 83) Vary your involvement based on your confidence.
... 83)处理问题时,根据自己感觉有把握的情况来调整参与度。
... 84) Avoid the “theoretical should.”
... 84)避免说“理论上应该”。
... 85) Care about the people who work for you.
... 85)关爱员工。
... 86) Logic, reason, and common sense must trump everything else in decision-making.
... 86)决策中最重要的是讲究逻辑、给明理由且符合常识。
... 87) While logic drives our decisions, feelings are very relevant.
... 87)尽管做决策时主要依靠逻辑,但情感感觉也是很重要的。
... 88) Escalate when you can’t adequately handle your responsibilities, and make sure that the people who work for you do the same.
... 88)如果发现自己无法有效解决问题时,应将问题提交给上级,确保为你工作的员工们也是这样操作的。
a) Make sure your people know to be proactive.
a) 确保员工主动积极。
b) Tool: An escalation button.
b) 工具:升级按钮。
... 89) Involve the person who is the point of the pyramid when encountering material cross-departmental or cross sub-departmental issues.
... 89)跨部门间或跨子部门间出现问题时,需要上级部门,也就是这个组织的“金字塔尖”的那个人来参与定夺。
... 90) Probe Deep and Hard to Learn What to Expect from Your “Machine”
... 90) 认真深入调查,了解机制能够创造什么。
... 91) Know what your people are like, and make sure they do their jobs excellently.
... 91) 了解自己的员工,确保他们顺利完成工作。
... 92) Constantly probe the people who report to you, and encourage them to probe you.
... 92) 不断调查直接向你汇报的下级,并鼓励他们调查你。
a) Remind the people you are probing that problems and mistakes are fuel for improvement.
a) 提醒你调查的员工,问题和错误是改进的动力。
... 93) Probe to the level below the people who work for you.
... 93) 调查你属下的下级。
... 94) Remember that few people see themselves objectively, so it’s important to welcome probing and to probe others.
... 94) 记住,只要极少人能够客观地看待自己。因此,你应该欢迎调查,同时要去调查别人。
... 95) Probe so that you have a good enough understanding of whether problems are likely to occur before they actually do.
... 95) 调查有助于你在问题出现之前充分了解其出现的可能性。
a) When a crisis appears to be brewing, contact should be so close that it’s extremely unlikely that there will be any surprises.
a) 如果说有迹象显示危机正在酝酿,那么你就应该保持密切关注,就能在其发生之时没有任何惊讶。
b) Investigate and let people know you are going to investigate so there are no surprises and they don’t take it personally.
b) 调查情况的时候要告诉被调查的人,不要让被调查的人措手不及,让他们知道你是对事不对人。
... 96) Don’t “pick your battles.” Fight them all.
... 96) 不要挑肥拣瘦,要解决所有问题。
... 97) Don’t let people off the hook.
... 97) 不要让人逃避责任。
... 98) Don’t assume that people’s answers are correct.
... 98) 不要想当然地认为人们的答案都是正确的。
... 99) Make the probing transparent rather than private.
... 99) 将调查透明化,不要私下进行。
... 100) Evaluate People Accurately, Not “Kindly”
... 100) 准确地,而不是善意地评估员工。