饭饭TXT > 学习管理 > 《张道真实用英语语法》作者:张道真【完结】 > 张道真实用英语语法.txt

VII Go to Bristol 第七章 去布里斯托尔途中.31

作者:张道真 当前章节:15411 字 更新时间:2026-6-22 20:15

VII Go to Bristol 第七章 去布里斯托尔途中.31

Once you've finished, go to bed. 你一干完就去睡觉。

Now (that) you mention it, I do remember the incident. 有你这么一提,我的确想起了这事。

2) 还有一些时间状语不由连词引导:

He came directly I called. 我一叫他就来了。

You ought to come and see us next time you are home. 下次回家你要来看我们。

She demands sweets every time she sees me. 她每次见到我都要糖吃。

He felt a thrill the moment he got into the theatre. 他一走进剧场就感到十分激动。

I left immediately the clock struck twelve. 钟一敲十二点我就动身了。

He had no sooner reached the door than he came back. 他刚到门口又走了回来。

He had hardly arrived when it began to snow. 他刚一到就开始下雪了。

23.5.2 条件状语从句

1) 条件状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Condition)主要由if或unless引导:

If I had been less cautious, I might have been more wise. 要是我不那么谨慎,也许我还明智一点。

If I were you, I'dgo to night school. 我要是你,我会去上夜校。

We can't exercise our influence unless we have an organ. 除非我们有一份刊物,否则我们不能发挥我们的影响力。

They have a meeting every Friday, unless there is nothing to discuss. 他们每星期五开一次会,除非没有事情可商谈。

2) 条件状语从句还可以由其他连词或起连词作用的短语引导:

Supposing (that) you are wrong, what will you do? 假定你是错的,你怎么办?

Suppose you had a million pounds, how would you spend it? 设想你有一百万英镑,你会怎么花呢?

You may go out providing you do your homework first. 如果你先把作业做了,那就可以出去玩。

She may come with us provided (that) she arrives in time. 如果她及时到达,她可以和我们一道去。

I'm going to expose him even if he is a relative of mine. 即使他是我的亲戚,我也要揭发他。

In case the house burns down, we'll get the insurance money. 如果房子烧毁,我们会领到保险金。

You can go out, as long as you promise to be back before 11 o'clock. 只要你答应十一点钟前回来,你可以出去。

You may borrow the book, on condition that you don't lend it to anyone else.你可以借这本书,条件是别把它借给别人。

Granted that he's not brilliant, he is at least competent and works hard. 就算他不够出色,他至少称职,而且工作努力。

I show everything on my face, whether I'm angry or pleased. 不管是生气还是高兴,我什么都表现在脸上。

3) 由if引导的条件状语从句,有时可把if省略,而把从句的语序倒装:

Were it not for their assistance, we would be in serious difficulty. 如果不是他们帮忙,我们会陷入严重的困境。

Had we made adequate preparations, we might have succeeded. 如果我们做了充分的准备,我们或许就成功了。

Should she call, what would you tell her? 万一她来电话,你怎么对她说?

Had it not been for the reservoir, we'dnever have been able to beat the drought. 要不是有水库,我们绝不可能战胜这次旱灾。

23.5.3 目的状语从句和结果状语从句

1) 目的状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Purpose)主要由that,so that,est,for fear that,in case等引导:

My father has bought me a bicycle so (in order) that I can get to school quickly. 我爸给我买了辆自行车,以便我能快速赶到学校。

They spoke in whispers lest they should be heard. 他们低声说话,以防被人听见。

Shut the window for fear that it may rain. 把窗子关上以防下雨。

I shall stay in the hotel all day in case there is news of Henry. 我将一整天待在旅馆里以防有享利的消息。

I'll show you so you can see how it's done. 我将做给你看以便你知道怎样做。

We have so arranged matters that one of us is always on duty. 我们作了这样的安排,以便我们总有一个人在值班。

2) 结果状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Result)主要由so that,so...that,such...that,that等引导:

So many people came to the concert that some couldn't get in. 那么多人来听音乐会,以致有些人没法进来。

She's so ill (that) she can't get out of bed. 她病得很重,都下不了床了。

It was such a cold night that we stayed at home. 那是一个非常寒冷的夜晚,我们都待在家里。

What was the matter with the fellow that he looked so happy? 那人怎么回事,看起来这样高兴?

The situation is such that agreement is unlikely. 局势是这样,达成协议的可能性不大。

There was such a draught, it is no wonder he caught a cold. 过堂风这样厉害,难怪他感冒了。

He is such a marvellous joker (that) you can't help laughing. 他的笑话讲得那样出色,你会禁不住哈哈大笑的。

I'm so busy, I have no time to write a letter. 我忙极了,没时间写信。

3) otherwise,or else或else也可引导从句,表示后果:

She had intellect, otherwise I would have scorned her. 她很聪明,否则我早就瞧不起她了。

Run or else you'll be late. 快跑,否则你就会迟到了。

Drink this, else you will be sick. 把这喝掉,否则你会生病。

关于这两类从句,可参阅17.2.3和17.2.4节。

23.5.4 原因状语从句

1) 原因状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Reason)主要由because,as,ince,in case等引导:

I did it because I was angry. 我这样做是因为我生气。

As she had a passion for walking, we started off on foot. 由于她酷爱走路,我们就步行出发了。

As you make your bed, so you must lie on it. 你是自作自受。

Since they've forgotten to phone me, I'll have to phone them. 既然他们忘了给我打电话,我就得给他们打了。

Since I haven't got her address, I can't write to her. 由于没有她的地址,我没法给她写信。

She ought to come down just in case anything happened. 她应当下来,以防发生什么情况。

Seeing he refused to help us, there's no reason why we should now help him. 既然他以前拒绝帮助我们,我们现在也没有理由去帮助他。

Considering he's only just started, he knows quite a lot about it. 鉴于他才刚刚开始,他对此已懂得相当多了。

2) 某些“be+形容?”结构后的从句也说明原因:

I'm glad (that) he's feeling better. 我很高兴他感觉好点了。

I'm awfully sorry that this has occurred. 发生了这事我非常抱歉。

You should feel very proud that you have been chosen. 你被选上了,你应该感到很骄傲。

He's annoyed that nobody believes him. 他很生气没人相信他。

They are very disappointed that she can't stay longer. 他们很失望她不能再待久些。

I'm surprised he didn't come. 他没来,我感到吃惊。

He was ashamed that he had lied. 他很羞愧,他撒谎了。

I was delighted that you were successful. 你成功了我很高兴。

关于这类从句可参阅第13.5.10和17.2.5节。

23.5.5 让步状语从句

1) 让步状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Concession)主要由although,though,while,whereas等连词引导,表示“虽?”、“尽?”这类意思:

Although she was tired, she stayed up to watch the late night film on television. 虽然她很累,她还是熬夜看电视上的午夜电影。

Though he had very little money, he always managed to dress smartly. 虽说他没几个钱,却总是穿得时髦潇洒。

She still loved him even though he had treated her so badly. 尽管他待她那样差,她还是爱他。

I wouldn't do it, even if you paid me a thousand pounds. 即使你付我一千英镑,我也不干这事。

Some praised him, whereas others condemned him. 有些人赞扬他,而另一些人却谴责他。

2) 还有一些其他类型的让步状语从句:

You won't be heard, however loudly you shout. 不管你喊得多响,没人会听见你的声音。

Wherever he is he will be thinking of you. 不管在那里,他都会想着你。

Whoever you are, you can't pass this way. 不管你是谁,都不能从这里通过。

So don't lose heart, whatever you do. 因此不管你干什么,都不要气馁。

She was going to be a singer no matter what difficulties she met. 她决心成为一名歌手,不管遇到什么困难。

You can't go in no matter who you are. 不管你是谁,都不能进去。

He had to get the car no matter how much it cost. 不管花多少钱,他都要买这辆车。

I'll do it whether you like it or not. 这事我得干,不管你喜不喜欢。

Much as I would like to come, I can't. 虽说我很想来,但我来不了。

Try as I would, I couldn't prevail upon him to change his mind. 不管费多大劲,我都无法劝说他改变注意。

Poor as he was, he was honest. 他虽然贫穷却很诚实。

He was unable to make much progress, hard as he tried. 尽管他作了努力,却不能取得多大进步。

Exhausted though she was, there was no hope of her being able to sleep. 尽管疲惫不堪,她却毫无能够入睡的希望。

Come what may, he would never let her down. 不管发生什么情况,他绝不会做对不起她的事。

关于这类从句可参阅第17.2.6节。

23.5.6 方式状语从句

1) 方式状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Manner)主要由as,like,as if,as though等引导:

I did as he asked. 我照他要求的那样做了。

Robbie didn't feel as she did. 罗比没有她那种感觉。

Do it like he does. 照他那样做。

She looked a bit queer, as if she knew something. 她看起来有点怪,仿佛她知道什么似的。

She closed her eyes as though she too were tired. 她闭上眼睛,就像她也累了似的。

2) 这类状语间或也不用连词引导:

They didn't do it the way we do now. 他们以前的做法和我们现在不一样。

You can travel how you please. 你愿意怎么旅行都行。

Arrange the hours however you like. 你怎么安排时间都行。

She's behaving the same way her elder sister used to. 她的表现和她姐姐过去的表现一样。

关于这类从句可参阅第17.2.7节。

23.5.7 地点状语从句

1) 地点状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Place)主要由where,wherever和anywhere引导:

Cross the stream where it is shallowest. (谚)在最浅的地方过河。

Where I live there are plenty of sheep. 我住的地方(绵)羊很多。

We'll go wherever you say. 你说到哪儿我们就到哪儿。

You can go anywhere you want. 你想去哪里就可以去哪里。

Everywhere they appeared there were ovations. 不管他们在哪里出现,人们都热烈鼓掌。

2) where引导的从句,除了表示地方外,还可以表示处境等,可有各种灵活译法:

He signed to Janey to stay where she was. 他给简妮打手势,让她待在原处。

It's your fault that she is where she is. 她今天这样是你的错。

Where others are weak, he is strong. 别人的弱点正是他的优势。

Where bees are, there is honey. 有蜂就有蜜。

关于这类从句可以参阅第17.2.8节。

23.5.8 比较状语从句

比较状语从句(Adverbial Clauses of Comparison)主要由than或as引导:

He earns less than his wife (does). 他挣的钱比他妻子少。

She knows more than I did at her age. 她知道的东西比我在她这年龄时知道的要多。

It was more expensive than I thought. 它比我想的要贵。

He is as tall as his father. 他和他父亲一般高。

Manslaughter is not as (so) bad as murder. 过失杀人罪没有谋杀罪那样严重。

I haven't done as much as I should have liked. 我做的没有我希望的那么好。

关于这类从句可参阅14.4.1—14.4.4,14.4.6,15.3.2及17.2.9节。

24.1 自然语序与倒装语序

24.1.1 自然语序

1) 英语大多数句子中主语在前谓语在后,和汉语一样,称为自然语序(Natural Order),如:

We must prevent the pollution of the environment. 我们必须防止环境污染。(主语+谓语+宾语)

We are taking measures to improve our environment. 我们正在采取措施以改善我们的环境。(主语+谓语+宾语+状语)

陈述句绝大部分为自然语序。

2) 疑问句中有一小部分(主要是特殊问句中以疑问词作主语或修饰主语的句子)用自然语序:

Who put forward the proposal? 这建议是谁提出的?

What caused his illness? 他的病是什么引起的?

How many students are leaving school this year? 今年多少学生毕业?

What problem are worrying you? 什么问题使你烦恼?

3) 有些陈述句子改为问句,或是期待对方同意自己的意见(a),或是表示惊异、怀疑等情绪(b),这时仍用自然语序(但用升调):

a. You work here? 你在这里工作?

She is your sister? 她是你妹妹?

She is not back yet? 她还没回来?

b. He has broken another world record? 他又打破了一项世界纪录?

Her father has passed away? 她父亲过世了?

You know nothing about it? 你对这毫不知情?

4) 感叹句多数也是自然语序:

What nonsense you talk! 你说什么胡话!

How gracefully they danced! 他们跳得多优美!

24.1.2 倒装语序

1) 如果谓语提到主语前面,则句子为倒装语序(Inverted Order),有时整个谓语提前,称为全部倒装(Full Inversion),如:

Down fell half a dozen apples. 忽然掉下五六只苹果来。

There comes the bus! 公共汽车来了!

有时只有部分谓语提前,称为部分倒装(Partial Inversion),如:

How are you doing? 你情况怎样?

Why didn't you come? 你为什么没来?

2) 疑问句大部分都用倒装语序,不管是一般问句(a)、特殊问句(b)、选择问句(c)还是反意问句(d):

a. Are you going home for Christmas? 你回家过圣诞节吗?

Do you have many friends here? 你在这儿朋友多吗?

b. Where can I park the car? 我能在什么地方泊车?

How much do you need? 你需要多少?

c. Is she an undergraduate or a postgraduate? 她是本科生还是研究生?

Are we going to meet here or at the airport? 我们在这里碰头还是在机场碰头?

d. It's a nice day, isn't it? 今天天气很好,是吧?

You don't smoke, do you? 你不抽烟,是吧?

只有上节提到的某些问句用自然语序。

24.2 一些常见的倒装句

24.2.1 一些倒装句型

1) 由引导词there引导的句子:

There's an outdoor concert tonight in the park. 今晚公园里有一个露天音乐会。

Have there been any fresh developments of the project? 这项计划有什么新的进展吗?

In 1859 there came a war between the two countries. 1859年两国间发生了一场战争。

In the distance there was heard the lowing of the cattle. 远处可听到牛叫声。

关于这类句子可参阅第19.4.1—19.4.4节。

2) 由there,here,now,then等副词引导的句子:

There come the rest of the party. 剩下的人都来了。

There's the bell. 铃响了。

Here is the address of your hotel. 这儿是你旅馆的地址。

Here are my replies to your questions. 这儿是我对你问题的回答。

Here comes a bus. 来了一辆公共汽车。

Now comes your turn. 现在轮到你了。

Then came the day of his examination. 这时他考试的日子到了。

Then opens an epoch of social revolution. 这时开始了一个社会革命的时代。

3) 由so,neither,nor引导的句子:

He's a teacher and so is his wife. 他是位教师,他妻子也是。

"I've been to New York." "So have I." “我去纽约了?” “我也是?”

I like singing and so does Helen. 我喜欢唱歌,海伦也喜欢。

I don't eat meat and neither does Tom. 我不吃肉,汤姆也不吃肉。

James didn't attend the meeting and neither did Jane. 詹姆斯没去开会,简也没去。

"I haven't seen that film." "Neither (Nor) have I." “我没看过那部电影?” “我也没有?”

"I don't like football." "Nor do I." “我不喜欢足球?” “我也是?”

"I couldn't afford to stay there." "Nor could I." “我住不起那里?” “我也住不起?”

Nor will I deny that. 我也不会否认这一点。

24.2.2 一些状语从句中的倒装语序

1) 有些由if引导的条件状语从句(主要是包含有were,had,should的从句),可以把if省略,把上述动词放到主语前面去:

Weren't it for their assistance, we wouldn't be able to do so well. 若不是有他们帮助,我们不会干得这样好。

Had we got there earlier, we would have caught the train. 要是我们到得早一点,我们就赶上火车了。

Should Mary call, say that I'll be back in an hour. 如果玛丽来电话,就说我一个小时后回来。

Were I Tom, I would refuse. 如果我是汤姆,我会拒绝。

Should you require anything, just give me a call. 如果你需要什么,给我打个电话就行。

Had he known that, he would have told you. 他要是知道这事,他早就告诉你了。

这是比较文气的说法,口语中仍以用if比较自然。

2) 有些让步状语从句中有时也有倒装的情况(主要是把表语或部分谓语提前):

Clever though he was, he couldn't conceal his eagerness for praise. 虽说他很聪明,却不能掩饰他亟于获得赞扬的神情。

Strange though it may seem, the tallest boy is the youngest. 尽管说来奇怪,最高的男孩却是最年少的。

Try as I would, I couldn't make her change her mind. 不管多努力,我都没法让她改变主意。

Try as he might, he couldn't open the box. 不管他想什么办法,都没法把那箱子打开。

Talented as he is, he is not yet ready to turn professional. 尽管他有天赋,他还没有拿定主意当职业演员。

Search as they would, they could find no one in the woods. 尽管他们努力搜寻,在林子中都找不到一个人。

24.2.3 某些副词或状语引导的倒装句

1) 某些有否定意思的副词,若放在句首,句子常用倒装语序:

Never would he know what she had suffered. 他绝不会知道她受过的苦。

Never before has such a high standard been achieved. 以前从未达到过这样高的标准。

Seldom have I seen such brutality. 我很少见过这样残忍的行为。

Little does he care whether we live or die. 他丝毫不在乎我们的死活。

Nowhere could I find him. 我哪儿都找不到他。

Scarcely was she out of sight when he came. 她刚走掉他就来了。

Hardly had he arrived when she started complaining. 他刚到她就开始诉苦。

Only then could the work be seriously begun. 只有那时这工作才能真正开始。

Not only did he work faster, he worked better also. 他不仅干得更快,干得更好。

Not once has he failed to fulfil his task. 他没有一次不完成任务的。

Rarely does the temperature go above ninety here. 这里的温度很少达到九十度。

2) 有个别其他副词放在句首时,有时也有这个现象:

Often would she (she would) weep when alone. 她一个人时常常哭泣。

Well do I remember the days when we were at school together. 我清楚地记得我们一起读书时的情景。

Bitterly did he repent that decision. 他深深地悔恨那个决定。

Gladly would I give my life to save the child! 我愿牺牲自己来救那孩子!

Brightly shone the moon that night. 那天晚上月亮特别亮。

这类句子多出现在书面语中,在日常口语中这样说时较少。

3) 有些短语(特别是介词短语)移到句首时也可能引导倒装语序:

On no account must we give up this attempt. 我们绝不能放弃这个努力。

Under no circumstances must we relax our vigilance. 在任何情况下我们都不能放松警惕。

In no circumstances could we agree to such a principle. 在任何情况下我们都不能同意这样一个原则。

In vain did he try to open the locked door. 他设法打开那扇锁着的门但没成功。

Only in this way can our honour be saved! 只有这样才能保住我们的荣誉!

Not until yesterday did I learn anything about it. 直到昨天我才对这件事有所了解。

At no point south of the river did the enemy advance more than a mile. 在江的南边任何地方敌人推进都不到一英里。

So bright was the moon that the flowers were bright as by day. 月亮是那样亮,花都像在白天那样艳丽。

24.2.4 一些谓语前移的情况

1) 有些句子没有宾语而主语又比较长,有时可把状语提前,而把主语放到谓语后面去:

Before him lay miles of undulating moorland. 他面前是一片高低起伏的荒原。

After the banquet came a firework display in the garden. 宴会后花园里燃放了烟火。

On the table stood two glasses and an empty brandy bottle. 桌上有两个玻璃杯和一只白兰地空酒瓶。

On every side stretched fields of luxuriant green wheat. 四周都是葱笼的麦田。

From the distance came occasional shots. 从远处传来零星的枪声。

目录
设置
设置
阅读主题
字体风格
雅黑 宋体 楷书 卡通
字体大小
适中 偏大 超大
保存设置
恢复默认
手机
手机阅读
扫码获取链接,使用浏览器打开
书架同步,随时随地,手机阅读
首 页 < 上一章 章节列表 下一章 > 尾 页